Read more about the Crystal Gems in Steven Universe Wiki here!
We are the Crystal Gems. We're still alive and we're still the guardians of this planet and all its living creatures.
|—Pearl, "Marble Madness"|
The "Crystal Gems" are a group of Gems who, unlike the rest of their kind, seek to protect the Earth instead of invading it and are the self-proclaimed guardians of humanity. The title, Crystal Gems, is what distinguishes them from the Homeworld Gems.
- Garnet: The de-facto leader of the group and a fusion Gem who wields a pair of gauntlets.
- Amethyst: The care-free member of the group who wields a three-tailed whip and the youngest aside from Steven. Unlike the other Gems (besides Steven, who is also from Earth), Amethyst was made on Earth, in the Kindergarten.
- Pearl: The intellectual and precise member of the group who wields a spear. She came to Earth with Rose Quartz and remains devoted to all her [Rose's] beliefs.
- Steven Universe: A half-human member of the group who can summon a shield and a bubble, also the youngest. Son of Rose Quartz, the founder of the Crystal Gems, who gave up her physical birth him.
- Peridot: The immature, curious, and stubborn one of the group. She is a natural-born technician and a certified Kindergartener. She was once an enemy to the Crystal Gems, but was officially accepted into the group after disobeying Yellow Diamond in "Message Received".
Known Crystal Gem Fusions
- Opal (Revealed in "Giant Woman"): A four armed, tall and slender Gem who wields a bow. She is the fusion of Pearl and Amethyst.
- Sugilite (Revealed in "Coach Steven"): A gigantic and bulky Gem who wields a flail. She is the fusion of Garnet and Amethyst.
- Alexandrite (Revealed in "Fusion Cuisine"): An extremely tall six-armed fusion of Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst.
- Stevonnie (Revealed in "Alone Together"): A teenage-looking fusion between Steven and Connie, a human.
- Garnet: A fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, as confirmed in "Jail Break ".
- Rainbow Quartz: (Revealed in "We Need to Talk" ) A fusion of Rose Quartz and Pearl.
- Sardonyx: (Revealed in "Cry for Help") A fusion of Pearl and Garnet who has anatomy manipulation and wields a warhammer.
- Smoky Quartz: (Revealed in "Earthlings") A fusion of Steven Universe and Amethyst.
- Rose Quartz: Steven's mother and the late leader and founder of the Crystal Gems.
- Greg Universe ("Laser Light Cannon", "Ocean Gem", "House Guest" and "The Message")
- Connie (since "Sworn to the Sword" )
- Lion (since "Steven's Lion")
- Lapis Lazuli ("The Message")
HistoryThe exact origins of the Crystal Gems are unknown. What is known is that when the Homeworld Gems attempted to invade Earth, Rose Quartz, thinking it was unfair to all the creatures already living on the planet, started a rebellion and formed the group. In "The Return", it is revealed that at one point there were enough Crystal Gems to constitute an army, but all except a few of Rose's closest friends, whom she protected with her shield, died. For about 6,000 years, the remaining Crystal Gems have used their abilities to defend Earth from countless magical threats. However, Rose Quartz, as a great admirer of humanity, gave up her physical form to give birth to a half-human child, Steven Universe. The other Crystal Gems, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl, consider Steven an important member of the Crystal Gems, and the three have taken it upon themselves to raise and teach him how to use his powers.
In several episodes, Pearl references that there are/were many more Gems, but never elaborated on the absence of other Gems on Earth, implying that they all may have died or disappeared. In the episode "Ocean Gem", it is revealed that there are in fact other Gems, and that the monsters the Crystal Gems fight to defeat are former Gems that had gone corrupt. As of now, only six known (alive) uncorrupted Gems have been named, counting the two Gems fused into Garnet, Lapis, Peridot, and Jasper.
The episode "Space Race" revealed that there are more Gems, but on different Gem-controlled planets. The Galaxy Warp was the main hub that was used to travel off-planet to other planets. Currently, all of the warp pads in the Galaxy Warp are destroyed.
In "On the Run", it is revealed that Rose Quartz, Pearl, and Garnet originally came from the Gem Homeworld, whilst Amethyst was formed on earth in a Gem Kindergarten. Amethyst is the only good gem known to have been "made" in the Gem Kindergarten, though there were hundreds of parasitic ones.
The Crystal Gems may be exiles or traitors to the rest of Gem society. In "Space Race", Pearl makes it clear the Crystal Gems are trapped on earth. In "Warp Tour" however, the appearance of Peridot and fixing of the warp pads greatly upset the other Gems who began to panic because it meant that "they're coming back".
"On the Run" revealed that the Homeworld had previously built machines which were capable of 'manufacturing' new Gems in a specific place called "Kindergarten". It is later revealed that this method of creating new Gems is very invasive and damaging to the planet; the gestating Gem drains the lifeforce out of the surrounding area in order to grow. According to Pearl. if allowed to continue as planned by Homeworld, this process would've left Earth a lifeless husk devoid of any and all life. Some of the Homeworld Gems on Earth at the time thought this highly unfair to the life on the planet and eventually lead a rebellion against the Homeworld forces occupying Earth. Lead by Rose Quartz, this faction called themselves Crystal Gems and were eventually victorious. As a result they were all branded traitors to their own kind and left stranded on Earth.
"Keeping it Together" revealed that many fallen Crystal Gem members had the shattered shards of their Gemstone collected by Homeworld. The shards were then unnaturally fused with each-other in Kindergarten in an attempt to recreate a working Gemstone. This resulted in the creation of abominations known as Clusters.
The Manifesto of Rose Quartz
The following is the Manifesto of Rose Quartz, revealed by Pearl in The Guide to the Crystal Gems:
"Fight for life on the planet Earth,
Defend all human beings, even the ones that you don't understand,
Believe in love that is out of anyone's control,
And then risk everything for it!"