♫ I will fight for the place where I'm free, to live together and exist and exist as me. ♫
|—"We Are The Crystal Gems"|
She is the fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, and is considered the current, de-facto leader of the Crystal Gems. Along with the rest of the team, Garnet is one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who joined the Crystal Gems in their rebellion against the Gem Homeworld to stop their invasion of the planet. Following the war, Garnet helped protect the Earth over the next 5,000 years. After Rose Quartz gave birth to Steven and lost her physical form, Garnet began to mentor Steven and help train him on how to use his powers. Though often stoic and few of words, her most recent adventures has left her more jovial and outspoken.
Garnet is definitely the leader of the team. She is totally in control of everything everyone does.
Though she's often the most stable member and a mentor for Steven, Garnet tends to act on intuition rather than seriously analyze a situation. For the most part, this works out well, but it has lead to some disastrous outcomes. She loses her usual stoic demeanor when Steven began rapidly aging in "So Many Birthdays" and starts violently shaking him. In addition, she makes a reckless decision to fuse with Amethyst to form Sugilite in "Coach Steven", and creates an overly-exaggerated story while speaking to Connie's mother over the phone in "Fusion Cuisine".
While mostly level-headed, she occasionally demonstrates a fierce competitive spirit. This is best seen while playing volleyball, Steven Tag, and arcade games.
As the de-facto leader, Garnet is often the peacemaker of the Crystal Gems, especially when Pearl and Amethyst start arguing. She demands utmost respect from the Crystal Gems, and is not hesitant to gain an attitude if the team members refuse to follow an order. The other Crystal Gems have even shown some fear towards Garnet because of her potential reactions to unwanted activity, as shown in "Secret Team."
The de-fusion and eventual re-fusion of Ruby and Sapphire in The Return/Jail Break appears to have had an impact on Garnet's personality; in consequent episodes she appears a lot more outspoken, lively and engaging. In "Jail Break", she shows a lot of emotion when reunited with Steven and in her fight with Jasper. She is later shown cracking a joke at Lapis Lazuli and Jasper's expense in the end. In "Full Disclosure", she is the only one who gives Steven any actual advice on how to deal with the situation ("Steven needs to see his friends and his father") and in "Joy Ride" she speaks the most out of the three. This is is a huge contrast with pre-regeneration Garnet, who rarely spoke or interacted with anyone outside of the Crystal Gems. In "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies" she does not enjoy the camera filming her.
While not nearly as nervous or reluctant to the idea of fusion as Pearl, she clearly believes fusion to be a sacred thing. This is shown in "Keeping it Together", as she was fine with answering Steven's personal questions regarding Ruby and Sapphire. However, seeing The Homeworld's experiments disturbed and frightened her so immensely that she nearly separated from the shock, displaying pure fear and despair for the first time that her fallen comrades where fused against their will.
Garnet is the tallest of the remaining Crystal Gems, but the second-shortest fusion. (Stevonnie, the fusion of Steven and Connie, stand inches shorter than Garnet.) She stands at about 7 feet (2.1 m), and is the most muscular gem of the group. Her right eye is a bright ruby-red, her left a bright sapphire-blue, while the center third eye is a reddish-violet. Her gemstones are embedded in her palms. Garnet also appears to blush dark red as shown in the episode "Story for Steven".
She had dark, pinkish-brown skin, and curly, soft, black hair styled into a cube-shaped afro. She almost always wore triangular futuristic orange tinted shades, which cover all three of her eyes. She wore a black and crimson bodysuit, with cubic shoulder pads (the right one being magenta, the left one being crimson), and a pink star with a magenta outline on her chest. She also wore long black gloves that covered her middle fingers.
As of "Jail Break," Garnet still wears the same bodysuit, but with a different color scheme and pattern. As opposed to crimson and black, her bodysuit is now multiple colors. Her right half is covered in a vivid blue-violet stocking, and her left is covered in a deep orchid/eggplant stocking. Her skin tone is even different, now being cerise rather than pinkish-brown. Her weapons are still mostly red, but with a more cerise shade, however there is a ring of black on the outside closest to her arms, and the glowing aura that appears when summoning them is now pale magenta. Instead of a star on the end facing her arms, they are now just orange. The star's color also changed- instead of a pink star with a magenta outline, it is now an amaranth star with a soft pink outline. Her hair is now also no longer black, but rather a very dark heliotrope and also is shorter and generally smaller than before. Her shades are also now a soft pink and blue color, instead of pale orange, and different light sources cause different colors to reflect off of them. Her shoulder pads are also oval-like instead of cubes, and both are a dark orchid/eggplant color as well as her arms and gloves.
No one can see the future. I can see options and trajectories. Time is like a river...that splits into creeks, or pools into lakes, or careens down waterfalls. I have the map, and I steer the ship.
|—Garnet explaining her future vision.|
Like all Gems, Garnet can shape-shift, fuse, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstones.
When fused with Pearl they form Sardonyx.
When fused with Amethyst they form Sugilite
When fused with Amethyst and Pearl they form Alexandrite
- Gauntlet Proficiency: When channeling the collective power of the universe through her gem, Garnet is able to summon her gem weapon, a pair of red gauntlets. Garnet is highly proficient when using her gauntlets and is extremely skilled in hand to hand combat. She is able to deal massive strikes that can easily shatter the earth and deliver swift blows with lightning speed. This is due to her being a fusion.
- Rocket Gauntlets: Garnet takes aim with her gauntlets and shoots them as projectiles, as seen in "Watermelon Steven." As shown in "Reformed," Garnet's hands are detached from her body after she uses Rocket Gauntlets, and her gems are moved to the stubs of her arms.
- Weapon Size Augmentation: In "Warp Tour," Garnet is able to increase the size of her gauntlets, easily quadrupling their size, and deal increased damage at the cost of reduced speed. This was also hinted during "Garnet's Universe" and could also suggest that Steven knew about it before its proper debut.
- Future Vision: Garnet can see multiple future outcomes and probabilities with her third eye, as revealed in "Future Vision." This includes extremely unlikely and ridiculous outcomes, as a considerable amount of her available visions depict Steven's (and possibly other individuals') demise at the hands of mundane tasks or objects on a regular basis. The ability does take some time to use as she has been shown in a thinking position when activating it. During that time someone can alter the future as seen in "Marble Madness" when Steven ruined the plan to learn about Peridot by going up to her while Garnet was still using Future Vision.
- Temporary Power Transfer: In "Winter Forecast" and "Jail Break," it is shown that she can temporarily pass on her future vision ability to others through lip contact.
- Invulnerability: While not outright invincible, it is shown that Garnet is the most physically durable of the Gems. She endures all sorts of different levels of damage from falling cars to fighting Jasper and various other forms of physical force.
- Heat Resistance: Her invulnerability is most commonly displayed in her extreme resistance to heat, from when she had scalding-hot coffee splash onto her without flinching in "Future Vision" to when she left to retrieve the Earth Beetle (which required her to swim in active lava) In "Giant Woman."
- Electrokinesis: Garnet can manipulate and generate electricity, as shown in "Arcade Mania" when she produced electricity in order to power up the Meat Beat Mania game and again in "The Message" when she jump starts Greg's van. She was even able to deflect a bolt of lightning with her bare, ungloved hand in "Future Vision." She has been shown to use this ability to release an electromagnetic repulsion to dry herself off, as seen with coffee in "Future Vision" and water in "Love Letters."
- Structural Sensation: In "Cheeseburger Backpack," it is stated that she is able to sense structural integrity.
- It is currently unknown whether this is a unique power, a separate portion of her heightened senses like her future vision or just a simple observation.
That's a lie – your middle name is 'cutie pie'.
|—Garnet in "Future Vision"|
Steven respects Garnet as a leader and a responsible motherly figure. In return, Garnet tends to have more faith in Steven's plans and ideas than Amethyst and Pearl. She also protects him from their antics and bickering. She rarely gets mad at Steven, unless he disobeys an order. It is clear that Garnet holds a high amount of trust in Steven and his judgement, listening to his ideas in "Cheeseburger Backpack" and "Marble Madness." This trust is mostly displayed in "Future Vision," her future vision always provides various ways on how Steven could get hurt while trusting Steven to live while making the right choices on his own.
Shut down by the G-Squad!
While Amethyst is seen to chafe at being told what to do, she will follow orders from Garnet. Amethyst respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment, even so far as referring to her as "the boss". Garnet has also been shown to be much more willing to play along with Amethyst's jokes than Pearl except in serious situations. However, Garnet is not beyond scolding Amethyst when Garnet feels her reckless actions impact the integrity of the team.
Like Amethyst and Steven, Pearl respects Garnet's leadership abilities. While she is occasionally patronizing and condescending to the other Gems, Pearl treats Garnet as an equal.
"Go ahead and try to hit me if you're able. Can't you see that my relationship is stable? I can see you hate the way we intermingle. But I think you're just mad 'cause you're single."
"I am their fury, I am their patience, I am a conversation. I am made O-o-o-o-of Lo-o-o-o-ove. (of Love)"
|—Garnet, during the song Stronger Than You|
"We're gonna stay like this forever." implies that Ruby and Sapphire wish to remain forever fused, due to their deep feelings for each other.
Garnet represents the close intimate/love-bond shared between Ruby and Sapphire and is the physical embodiment of their love. It was confirmed by Writer/Storyboard Artist Joe Johnston, via his tumblr, that Garnet being such a strong fusion of Ruby and Sapphire is meant to reinforce the romantic affections they have for one another. The song "Stronger Than You" also reinforces the romantic nature of their relationship.
When she first met Greg, she treated him as an intruder in the temple and intended to evict him by force, intimidating him whenever she could. While not being openly opposed to or in favor of Greg, she does admit that Steven should be in contact with him. In "Ocean Gem," it is revealed that she does not like his taste in music, humorously flinging herself out of the van as soon as he started playing one of his CDs.
"The Message" reveals that she is the Crystal Gem who has the most faith in Greg, telling him not to feel bad that he failed to decode the message as well as convincing Pearl to give him a second chance at it. In "We Need to Talk" she also seems to think favorably of him as she supported his and Rose's relationship, revealing that that she already thought highly of him back then. She even goes so far as to and gave him some advice on how to have a closer connection with Rose and encouraged him not to give up at trying to learn how to fuse with her.
The end of the episode reveals that she knew (with her Future Vision) that Greg wouldn't have been able to fuse with Rose, but by confronting her over it he would force her to talk about their relationship and the two would come out of the argument closer to each-other.
Garnet also casually revealed to him that she has three eyes as she lowered her shades to wink at him.
When Jamie first met her, he felt incredibly enamored while Garnet, being a relationship, was not interested. Despite this, after hurting Jamie's feelings, she encouraged him to take up local theater as she felt he was such a good actor he fooled himself into thinking he was truly in love with Garnet.
Garnet shows a deep fear of the Cluster, as it is composed of the shards of former Crystal gems. The sight of it unsettles her to the point that the fusion between Ruby and Sapphire is almost undone. At the same time, she is sympathetic to them, and instead she directs her fury against the Homeworld which she believes did this to them as a cruel punishment for the rebellion.
She mentions intimate details of their previous lives such as the fact that they were buried together (implying that she was present for the ceremony) which, combined with her strong reaction to the sight of them, implies that she knew them personally when they were alive.
Garnet was initially wary of Peridot's appearance in "Warp Tour" since her arrival signaled the Homeworld gems to Earth. As seen in "Joy Ride," Garnet was about to destroy Peridot's escape pod in blind fury because the actions in "The Return" and "Jail Break." She states that Peridot is not really a physical threat in "Keeping it Together" since she assures Pearl that Steven can come along but she is surprised by Peridot's abilities when chasing her.
- Garnet is rarely seen consuming food or drinking, much like Pearl. This is probably not out of disgust (as with Pearl), but simply because Gems don't need to eat/drink and has no practical reason to do so.
- Garnet wears shades to conceal her third eye.
- Garnet has complete Heterochromia iridum, which means each of her eyes are a different color. The left eye navy-blue (representing Sapphire), and the right eye dark-red (representing Ruby), the top eye being purple.
- Purple is a combination of red and blue, which represents Ruby and Sapphire.
- Garnet believes that violence can solve most things, as shown when she tried to help a rapidly aging Steven in "So Many Birthdays" by shaking him violently.
- In "Steven and the Stevens" and "We Need to Talk", it is shown that Garnet knows how to play the keytar, and that Greg may have taught her how to play it.
- Garnet seems to be very intolerant to arguing. In "An Indirect Kiss", she launched a rock through thick bramble when Pearl's overexertion caused her and Amethyst to argue, stating "I needed that."
- In "Fusion Cuisine", Garnet aggressively hits Pearl and Amethyst with her gauntlets after they argue once again.
- According to Rebecca Sugar, Garnet's fighting and dancing style is based off of Waacking. 
- Garnet's favorite music is the works of Estelle according to Rebecca Sugar, appropriate considering Estelle is her voice actress.
- According to Ian Jones-Quartey, Rebecca Sugar planned Garnet to be a fusion long before the Pilot episode, which also includes the fact that Ruby and Sapphire would be the two Gems to make her.
- As she stated in "Love Letters," Garnet does not believe in love at first sight.
- In "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies," Garnet is camera shy.
- Garnet was almost forcefully un-fused in "Keeping it Together."
- Garnet is the traditional birthstone for January, the zodiacal stone for Aquarius and the second anniversary stone.
- In gemstone mythology, garnets are known as stones that provide protection to their users from evil.
- Garnets are gemstones associated with strength, bravery, love, determination and self-confidence, all characteristics that fit in with Garnet's personality.
- Garnet is available in a veritable plethora of colors, such as yellow, orange, peach, green, red, purple, blue (rare), brown and pink.
- However, the most commonly occurring color is red and the rarest is blue.
- Garnet is not a single mineral, but a group containing closely related, isomorphous minerals that form a series with each other, which fits with the fact that she a fusion of two gems.
|Sapphire's gemstone on Garnet; it has a triangular facet. As seen in The Return and the flashback in Jailbreak, it has a light blue ring around the edge (normally hidden inside her hand), and is flatter on the back.|
|Ruby's gemstone on Garnet; it has a square facet. As seen in The Return and the flashback in Jailbreak, it has a pink ring around the edge (normally hidden inside her hand), and is flatter on the back.|