I'm Lapis Lazuli and you can't keep me trapped here anymore!
Lapis has light blue skin, shoulder-length dark blue hair in a hairstyle similar to Pearl's, and a teardrop-shaped lapis lazuli gemstone on her back. When freed from her mirror prison, she was shown to have pupil-less, mirror-like eyes similar to Holo-Pearl.
Lapis wears a blue dress consisting of a knee-length flowing skirt with a downward-facing dark blue triangle, a halter crop top with an upward-facing dark blue triangle, and goes barefooted. Her top ties into a blue ribbon on the back of her shoulders. Her back is uncovered which exposes her gemstone. After her gemstone was healed by Steven she was shown to have dark blue irises, along with wings made of water which she can extend and retract at will.
Trapped in a mirror, her gem was used to power it, she was an object that recorded all of the Gems' history and culture that the reflective side witnessed. She spent a long and lonely period trapped in the mirror with no one to talk to. Eventually, the mirror was discovered by the Crystal Gems at the Galaxy Warp, and given to Steven by Pearl . When Pearl couldn't activate it, she assumed it was broken. Later, when away from Pearl, Lapis Lazuli slowly revealed herself to Steven by talking to him through the mirror's recordings. Lapis eventually was set free from this form when her gem was removed from the back of it, destroying the mirror in the process.
In "The Message", Lapis sends a video message via the Wailing Stone warning Steven that Peridot was coming to Earth with another unnamed gem . Lapis urged Steven and the Crystal Gems not to put up a fight as gem technology has advanced and a fight would only lead to devastation.
In "The Return", she was brought to Earth by Peridot and Jasper against her will - as is shown by the way Jasper was manhandling her on the ship's exterior as well as having been thrown into prison cell once aboard the Gem ship. Later, after the ship was destroyed, she was seemingly persuaded by Jasper to fuse with her. She does so but reveals that she fused with Jasper into Malachite so she could trap both of them in the bottom of the sea.
In "Love Letters", Garnet mentions that she has been searching the bottom of the sea for Lapis and Jasper, but so far hasn't found them.
In "Chille Tid", Steven finds that he can reach Lapis' mind when he is dreaming. Lapis is shown to still be in control of Malachite, but seems to be gradually losing control.
While she was initially playful and friendly with Steven, Lapis Lazuli is bitter and mistrusting towards the Crystal Gems, believing they care more about the Earth than their own kind.
She expresses an overwhelming desire to return home, going as far as to use one of the Earth's oceans to construct a space elevator in an effort to get ever closer. In doing so, she shows that she can be rather inconsiderate and indifferent as she does not care about the human race and the planet Earth if it means she can get back there. Overall, Lapis is a passionate Gem who doesn't hesitate to fight anyone who stands against her, but is thankful to Steven for letting her out of the mirror, and then healing her gem. Though, she might have been initially disgusted at the way her gem was healed.
Like all Gems, Lapis Lazuli has common Gem abilities.
- Hydrokinesis: Lapis appears to have immense power over water and liquid material, demonstrated by her ability to divide a path through the sea and form the entire ocean into a space elevator. She can also walk on water.
- Flight: When her gemstone was healed, it was shown that Lapis can fly using large wings made of water that extend from her gemstone. So far, she is the only gem who is known to be capable of unassisted interstellar travel, making it back to the Gem Homeworld within months after her gem is healed.
- Water Generation: In addition to manipulating existing liquid, Lapis can generate a certain amount of water from her gem. This was demonstrated when she summoned her water wings, as they extended from her gemstone instead of forming from the water below.
- Water Constructs: Lapis is capable of forming water into various constructs that she can control. She has shown to form hands out of water that she can use to smite enemies or use as a platform. She is also able to form chains to entangle or trap enemies with, though was only shown after fusing into Malachite.
- Hydromimicry: Lapis can use her control over water to create flawless, powerful water clones of her enemies. The clones appear to possess the same abilities and fighting styles as the originals, as demonstrated by water Garnet's strength and water Amethyst's constant shape-shifting. They also have the ability to regenerate when damaged and even split to create new clones, making them effectively invincible against most attacks. The only thing that has been shown damaging them was a sound wave from Steven's Shield.
Lapis Lazuli became friends with Steven in "Mirror Gem," when he was given the Mirror by Pearl, which was supposed to show Steven about his history in gems, but it doesn't work. Then, a little while later, Lapis began to talk to Steven via the recordings of the mirror, and they became good friends. She wanted to get out of the mirror, and she told Steven how to help her out. After she was free, she warns Steven not to trust the Crystal Gems and walks away. In "Ocean Gem," Steven healed Lapis' cracked gem, which in result restored her, and brought her wings back. She thanked Steven before she flew back to her home planet. In "The Message," Lapis was shown to care for Steven enough to warn him of impending danger from Homeworld and, due to their advanced technology, advised him to not put up a fight as they don't stand a chance against the Homeworld Gems. In "The Return" she tried to convince Jasper Steven is just a human and had no connection with the Crystal Gems. When Jasper discovered that Steven has Rose Quartz's power, Lapis begged her not to hurt him, showing that she cares for Steven's well-being. It is shown in "Jail Break" just how deeply she seems to care for Steven when she reluctantly fused with Jasper in order to imprison her in the ocean, putting Steven's needs before hers. This was farther depicted in "Chille Tid" when she refused to have Steven's help and shrieked, "Just let me do this for you!"
While the two never met face-to-face, Lapis Lazuli left a deep impression on Greg in "Ocean Gem." Being the first time he followed his son on a mission involving "magic Gem stuff," Greg was already apprehensive when they set out on their mission. So when Lapis created water duplicates that attacked them - and wrecked his van - he became terrified of her. This is later reflected in "The Message" where he sings a short intro of a song he has written called "Water Witch". The song initially portrays Lapis in a negative light as a villain, until Steven objects and explains that Lapis wasn't mean at all; she only wanted to go home. It is unknown if Greg still sees her as a villain, but given her sacrifice in "Jail Break" he's most likely come around.
Lapis has a deep-seated distrust of the Crystal Gems, going so far as to warn Steven not to trust them. She made water clones of the Crystal Gems in order to fight them. Her anger seems to stem from her being forcibly trapped in a mirror by the Crystal Gems, preventing her from going back home and keeping her on Earth, a planet which she had no belief in. Her animosity seems to be aimed towards the Crystal Gems in general instead of Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl specifically, as the trio apparently had no clue she was trapped in the mirror.
Lapis was held prisoner by Peridot in her fearsome Gem Warship. She also seemed to be completely terrified of her during the message she sent.
When Lapis returned to the Gem Homeworld, she was unfortunately forced into helping the Homeworld Gems to defeat and capture the Crystal Gems, Jasper was made her superior. Jasper does not seem to care much for her, having no problems with imprisoning her after finding out Lapis withheld information from her. Jasper also called Lapis a "brat". When Jasper asked for Lapis' help to stop the Crystal Gems by forming a fusion, Lapis consented, the two of them forming Malachite. However, Lapis actually double-crossed Jasper by using her hydrokinesis to imprison both of them at the bottom of the ocean in order to save Steven.
- "Mirror Gem" (debut)
- "Ocean Gem"
- "The Message"
- "Political Power" (mentioned)
- "The Return"
- "Jail Break"
- "Full Disclosure" (flashback)
- "Love Letters" (mentioned)
- "Chille Tid" (dream)
- "Barn Mates" (appearance)
- Lapis Lazuli is shown to be the most powerful Gem yet, being able to control the entire ocean, making it into a giant tower while creating water-duplicates of the Crystal Gems to fight them off, all while her gem was cracked. She was also able to become the dominate personality when she fused with Jasper and imprisoned them both at the bottom of the ocean.
- The sheer magnitude of her strength could have been the reason why she was imprisoned in the mirror in the first place, fearing her raw power.
- Despite this, Jasper was able to push her around effectively, though this could have been purely psychological. Lapis was unsure and lacking hope in herself when Jasper imprisoned her on board Peridot's ships, while Lapis was hurt from the ship's destruction when Jasper caught her mid-flight.
- Lapis Lazuli is not fond of Earth, and never "believed" in it.
- This is also apparent when in the episode, "Jail Break", Lapis fused with Jasper to form Malachite but then dragged the both of them down into the sea while saying, "Let's stay on this miserable planet, together."
- There was a lot of attention to detail to her design/change during the episode. When her gemstone was cracked, she did not have pupils in her eyes with her eyes being replaced by mirrors. However, after being healed by Steven, she gained pupils in her eyes. Another example would be the way she moves; compared to other characters, who have human-like, but still slightly jerky movements, her animation is very smooth and fluid. The contrast is seen best when Steven talks to Lapis atop her tower.
- Lapis' eyes were mirrors when her gemstone was cracked.
- Lapis Lazuli is one of the birthstones of September, along with Sapphire. Coincidentally, Lapis' debut episode, "Mirror Gem," aired in September as well.
- Lapis and Steven demonstrate in "Ocean Gem" that Gems can survive in the vacuum of space and walk on water.
- Lapis Lazuli is the only Gem with a color scheme that consists of only four colors, making her the simplest colored Gem.
- When Lapis' gem is cracked, her color scheme is a darker shade of blue.
- It appears that Lapis thought Steven had left Beach City in "The Return" from her shocked look.
- It is unknown how strong Lapis really is, as she took the Crystal Gems down, with the exception of Steven, while her gem was still cracked.
- This may be because having a star is a symbol of being a Crystal Gem, which Lapis isn't.
- There appears to be a connection between stars and diamonds, as shown in "Serious Steven," where murals on the walls depict Rose Quartz, who has a star on her clothing, fighting another Gem with a diamond on her clothing.
Learn about the lapis lazuli gemstone here.
- In gemstone mythology, lapis lazulis are associated with gods, power, spirit, vision, royalty, honor, wisdom, and truth. This could be reflected on the sheer god-like power of her hydrokinetic abilities, being able to control the entire ocean even when her gem was cracked, as well as her willingness to do the right thing and help the Crystal Gems and give up her freedom despite everything that has happened to her.
- In new age crystal healing, lapis lazuli is a stone that helps a lot with the mental and spiritual state of someone, and makes them more powerful and strong in these categories. This may be why she has such a strong mind, as in manipulating her mirror so strongly and well, and her dominance in Malachite.
- Lapis is the only known Gem who is named after a type of stone comprised of multiple minerals.
- Ironically, exposure to water can eventually dissolve lapis lazulis.
- Lapis is a deep blue semi-precious stone.
|Information||Lapis Lazuli's gemstone is located in the center of her back, previously on the back of a mirror. It represents a Teardrop Shape, possibly representing her ability to control water.|