Read more about the Sardonyx in Steven Universe Wiki here!
Gooooood evening, everybody! This is the lovely Sardonyx! Coming to you a-live from the soon-to-be-former Communications Hub! How are y'all doin' tonight?
|—"Cry For Help"|
Sardonyx has crimson skin, much like the debut-regeneration Garnet. Her torso greatly resembles Garnet's, but is less round. She has a white sash around her waist. As a fusion, she has four arms and inherits the same locations of her gemstones as her fused cooperators. She has peach-colored hair, styled into a tetrahedron with very rounded corners. She wears a black tailcoat tuxedo leotard with a red-orange bow tie and a small black star directly below it. She wears black leggings under crimson tips surrounding the top part of her feet. On her first set of arms, she wears pure white gloves that are bare on her hands, exposing them except for a pure white covering on her middle finger. On her second set of arms, located on her abdomen, she wears pure white gloves that closely resemble Sapphire's gloves, that reach to her elbows. She wears round shades that closely resembles Alexandrite's, but are slightly transparent, which reveals that Sardonyx has four eyes, two on the bottom which are large and round, and two on the top which are thin, small, and narrow. She also appears to have a gap between her front teeth. Her face is rather triangular, and her feet have small pink diamonds on them.
Sardonyx appears to have a combination of Garnet's and Pearl's personalities, having a very enthusiastic and upbeat personality while also being very articulate and speaking very theatrically. She often laughs at her own jokes and remarks in a very pompous and comedic manner. She thinks very highly of herself and can be rather cocky at times, although she appears to also be considerate of other people as well as her surroundings. Despite this, Sardonyx is completely capable of being serious in dire situations.
- War Hammer Proficiency: Sardonyx can combine Garnet's gauntlets and put them on the end of Pearl's spear facing outwards to make a hammer. She is very skilled with this war hammer, as she was able to knock down pillars of the Communications Hub precisely.
- Anatomy Manipulation: Sardonyx has been shown to be able to spin her upper body, upper two arms, and her head.
- Sardonyx is the sixth fusion gem to be revealed.
- Sardonyx was announced in a Crewniverse Tumblr post.
- She was revealed in a clip shown at the official Adventure Time & Steven Universe panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2015.
- Sardonyx is the fifth Gem to be named after a type of quartz.
- Steven's Spanish-language voice actor, Leisha Medina, confirmed Sardonyx would appear in "Cry For Help".
- Sardonyx's hair greatly resembles that of Peridot's.
- Peridot's hair, however, is more triangular.
- Sardonyx's debut has many callbacks to Sugilite's debut.
- In Coach Steven, Garnet says "We don't need to be careful, we just need to be huge." to justify fusing with Amethyst instead of Pearl. In "Cry for Help", Garnet tells Pearl, "What we need now is to be careful.".
- When Garnet asks Amethyst to fuse in Coach Steven, Amethyst is excited and Pearl is grumpy and disappointed. When Garnet asks Pearl to fuse in "Cry for Help", the roles are reversed.
- When Sugilite forms, a red dragon silhouette appears, breathing out black flames which grow to form Sugilite's body. When Sardonyx forms, she appears in a pillar of light which turns into a curtain and then splits apart into a cloud of dragonflies.
- Sardonyx's appearance and behavior too contrasts with Sugilite: she has Pearl's thin build (mixed with Garnet's curvaceous traits), graceful moves, well-kept hair and wears an elegant attire; also, she asked how everybody was doing just after she finished forming. Sugilite, by other hand, has Amethyst's heavy build (again mixed with Garnet's curves), moves somewhat brutish, has a wild hairstyle and wears punk themed clothes; her first words after forming showed her egoist persona.
- Amethyst seems very under-enthused and annoyed about Sardonyx, due to her giving her a sarcastic "Great!" when Sardonyx asked how everyone was. This is similar to Pearl and Sugilite's mutual disdain towards each other.
- It is the third time that Steven dubs a fusion, "Giant Woman".
- The other two times were with Opal and Alexandrite.
- Fans have noted there are many similarities between Sardonyx, and the PlatinumGames character Bayonetta. Both pose dramatically in front of the moon before performing an attack, both are classy and self confident, graceful yet incredibly strong, and both have a fondness for children (Bayonetta with Cereza & Loki, Sardonyx with Steven). They both taunt before finishing off their targets, and both have the same snarky means of addressing bystanders during battle.
- Coincidentally the way Sardonyx uses her hammer weapon is identical to how Bayonetta uses her Hammer weapon, the Takemikazuchi, from Bayonetta 2.
- Her outfit is similar to traditional mid-20th century stage magician and Broadway dancer costumes.
- The way she appears (pulling and opening a curtain that explodes into dragonflies) also plays into her stage magician theme.
- Sardonyx is the second pure gem fusion to lack visible pupils.
- The first being Rainbow Quartz.
- Stevonnie is a fusion that lacks visible pupils but is not included due to not being a pure gem fusion.
- Sardonyx's outfit unusually features both diamonds and stars, with diamonds on her shoes, and a star on her chest.
- Sardonyx asks Steven if she was "worth the wait", referencing how long it took Sardonyx to appear in the show.
- Sardonyx is the second fusion to not defuse or split unwillingly.
- The first being Rainbow Quartz.
- Sardonyx's upper set of eyes appear to be partly off her face.
- Sardonyx is a type of micro-crystalline quartz, specifically onyx, banded with browns, reds, or yellows instead of black.
- Onyx and sardonyx are types of agate.
- Sardonyx is closely related to onyx, sard, and carnelian. Banded agate with more blacks or grays is generally classified as onyx, banded agate with more browns, reds, yellows, or oranges is generally classified as sardonyx. Solid red or reddish-brown agate is generally classified as sard or carnelian, depending on the shade.
- Sardonyx, as with many other gemstones, can also appear as other colors, such as green and purple.
- The name sardonyx itself is an amalgamation of its composition, the two minerals ‘sard’ and ‘onyx’.
- Sardonyx is a gemstone of strength, protection, and victory.
- Sardonyx is a stone that if carried is said to enhance willpower, vitality, confidence, stamina, integrity and optimism as well as bring happiness and stability to marriages.
- Sardonyx is an alternate birthstone of August.
|Pearl's gemstone on Sardonyx is completely smooth without facets.|
|Ruby's gemstone on Sardonyx, featuring a square facet. It is a decahedron.|
|Sapphire's gemstone on Sardonyx, featuring a triangular facet. It is an octahedron.|